November 17, 2020

Safe Holiday Food For Your Dog


There are a lot of human foods that are safe to give to your dog, but keep in mind that treats should only make up about 10% of a dog’s diet. The other 90% should be from a complete and balanced dog food.


Some popular holiday foods that are safe for dogs include:

  • Turkey and chicken (cooked and unseasoned)
  • Green beans
  • Carrots
  • White potatoes and sweet potatoes
  • Cranberries and blueberries
  • Pumpkin – but be careful not to give pumpkin pie mix due to the added sugar and spices


While all of the above foods are safe for your dog to eat, remember to only give in moderation. Introducing too many new foods in a short period of time can upset your dog’s stomach. It is always important to read ingredient labels for all foods prior to giving to your dog.


Human food that dogs should avoid are:

  • Ham
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Almonds
  • Chocolate and other sweets – especially avoid the artificial sweetener xylitol, which is toxic to dogs
  • Grapes and raisins
  • Chicken/Turkey/Beef bones


Stay safe and enjoy the holidays! 


Marc Siegel, DVM