Thanksgiving Safety Tips for Dogs
One of the best parts about the holiday season is all the delicious food we get to eat! Unfortunately for our pets, many of the sweet, salty, decadent treats we love can be dangerous for pets. The best way to keep your pet safe during dinner time is to avoid giving them table scraps altogether, but I know this can be difficult for some people. I would suggest giving your pet cut up vegetables like carrots and string beans instead of turkey and stuffing. They likely won’t know the difference – a treat is a treat.
Here are some holiday foods you absolutely want to avoid:
- Fatty foods, like turkey skin and cheese, can cause diarrhea and vomiting, or a more serious condition called pancreatitis.
- Some healthier foods, such as onions, garlic, and raisins/grapes should also be avoided. Grapes and raisons are especially dangerous, as even a small amount can cause kidney damage in some hyper-sensitive dogs.
- Bread dough can cause problems for pets, including painful gas and potentially dangerous bloating.
- Artificial sweeteners (e.g. xylitol) commonly used in gum and sugar-free baked goods can be deadly if consumed by dogs.
- Chocolate can be harmful for pets, even though many dogs find it tempting. The darker the chocolate, the more poisonous it is to our pets.
- String, used to tie meat, is very dangerous as it can get stuck in your pet’s digestive tract.
If you believe your pet has eaten something it shouldn’t have, call a veterinarian or local veterinary emergency clinic immediately. Signs of pet distress include: sudden changes in behavior, pain, vomiting, or diarrhea. You may also want to call the ASPCA Poison Control Hotline: 888-426-4435.
With a little extra precaution, our four-legged friends can enjoy the holidays right along with us.